Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Running; A Trumpet Players Best Friend


I started running, for the first time since June of 2008. I knew that I wasn't going to have the proper endurance, in order to return to my old form. However, I am going to try to work on that. This being said, running had me thinking about its correlation with the Trumpet; more specifically, as it relates to el trompetero. 

I remember my time spent in Sacramento. I had a decent relationship with all of the Trumpet players in the area. Many of them had one thing in common; the apparent love of food--to a certain extent, cerveza, as well (however,  the former observation is merely anecdotal)--and their lack of interest in cardio exercises. I am not a physical fitness buff, by any means; nonetheless, I am willing to do anything that is going improve my performance, with minimal effort. Is that too much to ask? My father, also a trumpet player, never had, or has, time to go jogging or any other personal activity. Much like the majority of the mariachi trumpet players, making a living by gigging on the weekends, the Sacramento group of trumpet players simply didn't have time to work on the physical aspect of their craft; they are too busy trying to make ends meet, running is probably the last thing, presumably, on their minds. 

For the people who do have the privilege to continue working on their musicianship, it is imperative not to ignore one's physical aspects of one' s instrument. Without it, honestly, one is half a musician. Yesterday, I think I ran, or jogged, rather, for four miles. Today, I think I am going to repeat that feat, right after I gloss my poor legs over with Bengay.

No comments:

Post a Comment