Tuesday, October 28, 2014



Getting back into Mariachi: Writing and Performing when the Family grows

Look out world, I am back on the Mariachi Scene!

It has been a couple of years since the last time I have written anything about music. I guess it was a sudden break that had to happen at the time. I needed the break but apparently music didn't want me to leave. 

To be clear, I speak about music in the most humblest terms because I understand that I don't know all and will never know all that there is about Mariachi music. In spite of knowing this, I need to continue my relationship with music and began again to contribute to the Mariachi community online.

Apparently, there are a lot of internet savvy Mariacheros now then there were 5 years ago (Thank you Technology, Internet, and Social Media). So now that I am back into gigging constantly, I feel that I need to reinforce my "Standard" repertoire or "Musica de Cajon" to become a better musician. 

Five years ago, I was spending more time on technique, now I feel that I am spending more time on style rather than routine endurance-building. This realization has been eye-opening and fun. I have to be more creative with my practice time, due to me being Captain Dad during the week and El Mariachi on the weekends. 

It was tough at first because I was used to a certain way of practicing, mainly practicing in complete silence and sans children. I now can slip in an hour during nap time, a half hour while they are eating, etc. The point is I am more flexible because I need the practice. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam! Do you live in porterville?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sorry for the extremely late reply. When I wrote this post I lived in Tulare. Now the family and I moved to Porterville.

      Delete